SPLIT ROCK REVIEW
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
Welcome to Split Rock Review's Submissions Hub!
Split Rock Review is an independent, online publication run by volunteers who love literature, art, and the wilderness.
We publish poetry, short creative nonfiction and fiction, comics, hybrids, visual poetry, interviews, book reviews, photography, and art that explore place, environment, and the relationship between humans and the natural world.
Our reading period for Issue 20 is February 1 - March 31 (11:59pm, CST).
Many thanks for your interest in Split Rock Review. We look forward to receiving and reading your work!
GENERAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- We only accept submissions via Submittable. Any submissions sent via email will be unread.
- We offer 200 free submissions during the reading period as well as a TIP JAR and EXPEDITED submission option for a nominal fee.
- We are particularly interested in work by people historically underrepresented in literary publishing: artists and writers who are Black, Indigenous, people of color, people with disabilities, gender-nonconforming, LGBTQIA+, women, and other marginalized communities.
- We accept simultaneous submissions. However, please withdraw your work immediately should a piece you’ve submitted be accepted elsewhere. If you are withdrawing your entire submission, please log in to your Submittable account and click “Withdraw.” If you need to withdraw part of your submission, open it within Submittable and "Add" a comment indicating the poem or poems you'd like to withdraw. We will see your note and gladly consider the available poems.
- No manuscript edits or revisions will be considered during the reading period.
- We do not accept works of translation or previously published work for our journal issues (this includes personal blogs, social media posts, and personal websites).
- We accept collaborative works, but please provide the names of all the collaborators in your submission.
- For previous SRR contributors, please wait at least twelve months from the publication date of your work before submitting to us again. You know we love your work, but we want to give other writers and artists an opportunity to be published and showcased in SRR.
- If your work is accepted, you agree to give Split Rock Review First Electronic Rights and Archival Rights. You may republish your work without fee, but we ask that Split Rock Review is acknowledged as its place of initial publication.
- Unfortunately, we cannot pay our contributors; however, we do our best to promote our writers/artists and their work. Check out our Contributor Spotlight Series and Photic Zone Interview Series.